Saturday, April 10, 2010

Reading Is Fundamental (2010 Read-a-Thon Mini-Challenge)

Scroll down or click here for my Read-a-Thon post, My Brain on Books, intermittently updated like a blog within a blog until the end--of the Thon or my consciousness whichever comes first.


My mother's mother Zoe Bonnette Myers reading to her two eldest grandsons circa 1946. Over ten years before my birth. My Mom was still a teenager. Grandma Zoe had been a school teacher before marriage as was her husband, his sister, my mother and my dad's mother. So reading was fundamental in my family from way back.

The challenge is to create a post celebrating the reading child and to link to the Reading is Fundamental webpage.

Open until 5pm Pacific Coast Time aka end of Hour 12
(several have indicated in comments they believe finished at the end of its first hour so I'm clarifying.)

Suggestions for content:

  • post a picture or video of a child or children reading or being read to
  • post a picture or video of yourself reading as a child or reading to children
  • spend 20 minutes reading to or being read to by a child age 0-15 and post about it
  • interview a child about the meaning of reading to them and post the interview in text, audio or video
  • relate memories about the meaning of reading in your childhood (text, audio or video)
  • post a thank you message to RIF for their efforts on behalf of child literacy (text, audio or video)
  • post a thank you message to any adult(s) responsible for turning you on to reading as a child (text, audio or video)
  • visit the RIF site and report on one or more of their programs or activities, linking to the page(s) discussing it.
  • post about a personal encounter (if any) with RIF--did one of their free books impact your childhood? did you participate as either child or adult in one of their sponsored activities?
Those are just suggestions to give you the idea. I imagine there are many creative minds among you who can come up with any number of riffs on the theme: celebrate reading and childhood and link to RIF.

Note: Last year I didn't hold the entrants accountable for not having a link to RIF because I'd visited over half a dozen without making note whether they had or not. Not wanting to waste reading time to re-visit them, I made an executive decision to let it slide for all. I won't repeat that mistake this year so having the RIFF link is MANDATORY. If nothing else just copy/paste the first line of this post (the one below the top picture caption) into your post.

This challenge is open for three hours and I am willing to mail the prize internationally.


Each winner will receive one of my crocheted bookmarks similar to these:




Except that I will custom make them after consulting via email with the winners on their preferred colors and style so they can design a bookmark they know they will love.

Since last October I've increased my stash of ribbon by a few and nearly doubled my selection of thread. I now have over half a dozen variegated and nearly 20 solid colors that can be combined in endless variations.

Besides more thread I've added several new patterns including the narrow band with ribbon pictured in red at top of above picture; the wide tasseled with alternating bands (can be either 7 or 11 bands plus tassel and bands can be solid or variegated) pictured near right edge of above picture and in progress below; and the mini-scarf pictured below in white and pastels which can be in any color combinations desired (ie school colors, holiday colors).




A full length view of that red and black laced one can be viewed along with more examples here.
More examples of the tasseled one can be seen here.

And of course last year's two patterns: the two-toned wide with ribbon and the original twelve row shell stitch with ribbon. Most of the ribbon adorned ones can be either single flat ribbon, doubled over ribbon with bead, button or key ring at top and the doubled over ribbons can be flat or laced like a shoe lace like the blue one on the upper left corner above or the red and black one in the bottom right corner (cut off). A flat braid can be substituted for the ribbon as seen below far right.





Please enter URL of the post in the Mr. Linky below. Leaving a comment also will alert me by email that I have an entry to visit. :) But a comment isn't required. After I have visited each entry to verify it, I will choose 5 winners via random.org.

If you don't have a blog or webpage you can still enter by leaving a comment on this post that conforms to the rules: RIF link plus a paragraph or so on the theme. This option is limited to text only of course. Then leave the link to this post's comments along with your name in Mr. Linky.

Depending on how many entries I need to visit, I will post the winner's sometime between this evening and tomorrow evening right here below this paragraph. Then winners will need to contact me [joystory @ gmail.com] with their contact info to discuss their design.

The 5 Winners:

Michelle~ New Horizon Reviews
Bonnie
Morphidae
infogoddess
debnance at readerbuzz



Fair warning: for some versions if made from scratch it may take several weeks to get them in the mail.

11 tell me a story:

Chelle 4/10/2010 2:32 PM  

That looks like an amazing organization, and I'll be promoting it when I have more time to focus on it as well. For the time being, though, my link is added to Mr. Linky :)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz 4/10/2010 2:34 PM  

I love Reading is Fundamental. Reading early completely changed my life and has brought me joy.

Thank you for this challenge.

Michelle 4/10/2010 2:36 PM  

I little blip is up.
Thanks for doing this mini-challenge!

Cindy 4/10/2010 3:01 PM  

I don't remember Reading is Fundamental being a part of my life when I was young but I was in the library every day almost. This was my favorite challange from last year :)

Bonnie Jacobs 4/10/2010 3:09 PM  

Mine features my granddaughter Cady's picture as she reads a book we reviewed together in 2008. It's also a banned book. Thanks for having this mini-challenge!

Rayna 4/10/2010 3:11 PM  

I have never heard of Reading is Fundamental but it sounds like a great organization and I will look into it more when time permits. For now my link is up

Rayna
Deatren@gmail.com
www.momsnotall.com

honeydew 4/10/2010 3:16 PM  

I've always loved reading and my sons both enjoy getting read to. You have beautiful bookmarks.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/88879&newpost=1#lastmsg

Joy Renee 4/10/2010 3:49 PM  

just to clarify for those who seem to think they're too late. this challenge is open until the end of hour 12

Kanaye 4/11/2010 3:49 AM  

Thank you for telling me I had the wrong year. I fixed it in my blog.

Care 4/11/2010 5:00 AM  

Happy READaTHON!! Cheers, Care

Michelle 4/23/2010 3:42 AM  

I had completely forgotten about this giveaway.
Thanks and I had fun at the reading challenge.

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP