Saturday, October 24, 2009

Reading Is Fundamental (Read-a-Thon Mini-Challenge)



Joy Renee age 9-ish reading to baby sister and cousin age 2-ish

The challenge is to create a post celebrating the reading child and to link to the Reading is Fundamental webpage.

Suggestions for content:

  • post a picture or video of a child or children reading or being read to
  • post a picture or video of yourself reading as a child or reading to children
  • spend 20 minutes reading to or being read to by a child age 0-15 and post about it
  • interview a child about the meaning of reading to them and post the interview in text, audio or video
  • relate memories about the meaning of reading in your childhood (text, audio or video)
  • post a thank you message to RIF for their efforts on behalf of child literacy (text, audio or video)
  • post a thank you message to any adult(s) responsible for turning you on to reading as a child (text, audio or video)
  • visit the RIF site and report on one or more of their programs or activities, linking to the page(s) discussing it.
  • post about a personal encounter (if any) with RIF--did one of their free books impact your childhood? did you participate as either child or adult in one of their sponsored activities?
Those are just suggestions to give you the idea I imagine there are many creative minds among you who can come up with any number of riffs on the theme: celebrate reading and childhood and link to RIF.

This challenge is open for three hours.

Please enter URL of the post in the Mr. Linky below. Leaving a comment also will alert me by email that I have an entry to visit. :) But a comment isn't required. After I have visited each entry to verify it, I will choose 5 winners via random.org.

Each winner will receive one of my crocheted bookmarks similar to these:


Except that I will custom make them after consulting via email with the winners on their preferred colors and style.

The winners are:

Kim (page after page)
NTE Never that Easy
Dangerously Cold Tea
Tif @ Tif Talks Books
Chrissy (book bliss)

I will post the same list in My Brain on Books post below as well. I need these 5 to email me at joystory AT gmail.com with their address and a color scheme preference for their bookmark i.e. a favorite two color combo or 'earth tones' or 'xxx holiday'. Or if they prefer they can email me with a request for a complete list of my selection of thread colors including variegated and a photo of my ribbons including prints and solids.so they can design a bookmark they know they will love.


Thanks to everyone who participated.


19 tell me a story:

Kim 10/24/2009 3:14 PM  

I posted a picture of my son, reading along with me today! I love my "reader".
*smiles*
Kim

CupK8 10/24/2009 3:41 PM  

My mother is definitely one of the reasons I have been a voracious reader for so many years. I am really sad because I couldn't go see the Wild Things movie with her since I just moved across the country. I am looking forward to Christmas when we can both curl up with a book in the family room.

Nan 10/24/2009 4:17 PM  

I posted a picture of my Therapy Dog at a past visit to the library. I also was able to talk about the great library visit we had today.

Anonymous,  10/24/2009 4:47 PM  

I don't know if it counts, because it is an existing blog post rather than a new one for the challenge, but I figured I'd give the link to a picture of my daughter combining two of her favorite activities.

Emily 10/24/2009 4:52 PM  

Great mini-challenge!

I've posted mine here:
http://emilyw.vox.com/library/post/reading-is-fundamental-hour-12.html

Thanks for hosting!

Paula Shene 10/24/2009 5:46 PM  

I read my book MANDY THE ALPHA DOG to my grandchildren ages 2 and "I'm almost 5, Grandma!". This book is geared for the 7-12 year old and is popular on the local circuit and the Amazon reviews.

I am overjoyed that my grandkids want to pick out books when we go to the library. When I was young we did not visit the library but there always were books for our age group and above. We were encouraged to read what we wanted and to discuss. We were also taught to respect book - no defacing or destroying and to evaluate not to automatically concede a book should be banned. In fact, banning for an age was acceptable whereas overall banning was not. it certainly open my reading avenues to classics that were banned [To Kill a Mocking Bird]. my children and now their children also have a love for the written word so what I was taught is carried on.

Tif Sweeney 10/24/2009 5:50 PM  

I'm posting my little linky right now!! My kids are participating in the read-a-thon with me today and we are growing a reading tree! You can see a picture of our latest progress and we will only have more to add before the head to bed!! What a great mini-challenge!!

Cindy 10/24/2009 5:52 PM  

My mom and my fav children's library inspired me!

http://cindysbookshelf.blogspot.com/2009/10/who-inspired-me-to-read-and-half-way.html

Sheila (bookjourney) 10/24/2009 5:54 PM  

I used a picture of my friend Julie reading to a girl who was abandoned on the streets by her mother.

My post is up.

Anonymous,  10/24/2009 5:59 PM  

This is a fantastic challenge! I posted mine at http://bookblissbooks.blogspot.com/2009/10/reading-is-fundamental-mini-challenge.html

Tif Sweeney 10/24/2009 11:02 PM  

I'm so very excited that I won!!! I will be emailing you shortly and cannot wait to receive my new bookmark!! Yippee!!

Kim 10/25/2009 12:22 AM  

So excited I won! I will email you tomorrow. Even my son was excited I (we) won something! Thanks so much and I must say what a great cause you have chosen to support.
*smiles*
Kim

Helen's Book Blog 4/10/2010 2:43 PM  

I wrote a post about my daughter's reading program, which rocks! I am having trouble with Mr. Linky so here's my link:

http://helensbookblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/read-thon-mini-challenge-reading.html

fiona 4/10/2010 3:04 PM  

the main page for the readathon says this challenge is still open so here is my post - it shows kids from my school in South Korea spending the night reading at a book festival http://infogoddess54.blogspot.com/2010/04/reading-is-fundamental-reading.html

Kanaye 4/10/2010 3:15 PM  

My post is up in my page. I'll copy and paste what I wrote.

As a child, I grew up in a group-home with 7 other girls and 4 different staff round the clock. As you can imagine, in a home with 8 girls, and 4 ever-changing staff, getting alone time was tough. So I read. I found that if I was reading and another girl came in my room, she'd, 75% of the time, leave me alone. And, if I was reading alone in my room, when the rest of the girls would get into trouble by the staff, I didnt, cause I wasnt there.

Getting lost in a book was quite literal for me. I'd forget I hadnt been adopted yet, I'd forget I hadnt seen my sister in over a year, I'd just forget me and become the charecters. I find that true, even now.

Lisa 4/10/2010 3:23 PM  

I know you've already picked the winners but I loved this idea so much I did a post anyway!

http://litandlife.blogspot.com/2010/04/deweys-read-thon-reading-is-fundamental.html

J.T. Oldfield 4/10/2010 3:29 PM  

A little late, but here's mine!

http://bibliofreakblog.com/memes/readathon-post-3/

Andria 4/10/2010 3:46 PM  

Oops, I guess I missed it!
http://readingteen.blogspot.com/2010/04/winner-update-and-challenge-readathon.html

Trish 4/10/2010 4:29 PM  

I missed it, but wanted to do this one anyway! So important!!

I chose to read with my 9-year-old daughter. Reading is important!

www.pecksandbushels.blogspot.com

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP