Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Serenity #148



Discovering a new music and artist. Angelique Kidjo, singing in Swahili. Above, it's the familiar Summertime from the American musical. Below, looks and sounds like something straight out of her own Benin traditions.



But the best videos have embed disabled so you have to go to YouTube to view them. It's well worth it. Stunning. For both the eys and the ears.

Shango
Adouma
Voodoo Child

It was thanks to a piece Kidjo composed in response to reading the current Oprah Book Club selection by Uwem Akpan, that was posted on Oprah.com, that I was introduce to her work.

I'm still anxiously awaiting my turn to read Akpan's Say You're One of Them. There's two ahead of me for the library copy I'm in queue for as of a few days ago.

0 tell me a story:

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP