Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Frissions of Frida


I decided to hang on to the past due library book, The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver but only if I could prove to myself my resolve to give it top priority until it was finished. So last night I advanced my bookmark over 100 pages in just under two hours before my eyes wimped out on me.

Only then did I allow myself to return to Netflix online but even then I chose to watch the 2002 movie Frida based on the life of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo who is one of the major background characters in Kingsolver's novel. She referred to Kahlo and her husband Diego Rivera as 'setting' in one of the interviews or presentations I saw on YouTube. Thus I thought maybe watching the movie would help me visualize the exotic 1930s Mexico and the iconic art of Rivera and Kahlo as I continue reading. I do believe it has.

I was so inspired by this movie I headed to the library catalog afterwards and ordered several NF and at least one novel based on her life and/or art. Stay tuned as I'll probably have a lot more to say about Frida in future as I'm completely smitten.

This isn't the first time I've been interested in Kahlo. I remember once having a book full of prints of her paintings checked out of the library and being enchanted. But this is the first time I've been drawn to learn more about the woman and her life.

0 tell me a story:

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP