Monday, July 05, 2010

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? #8

oh waz u readn dis?


Since last Monday:

Begun but not quite finished finished:

The Good man Jesus and the scoundrel Christ by Pullman, Philip

Advanced bookmarks in:

Proust was a neuroscientist by Jonah Lehrer
have ordered this one from the Longview library on my sister's card so I'll get to continue with it while staying at my Mom's.

There were several other titles I was able to do that with and yet others I discovered would be available if I wanted them. And I also ordered a few of the titles I was reading during my visits last year and this past January--titles I can't get in our library. I stopped ordering after 7 or 8. My sister was generous to allow me to access her account from here and put in my orders and she will also be picking them up this week before my arrival next Sunday. Didn't want her to have to bring her Cosco shopping bags to bring home my books. :)

Will begin next:

The book thief [text (large print)] by Zusak, Markus 757 p.
even tho I'm unlikely to finish it before I leave town Sunday. I just been soooo looking forward to reading it. I should have started it instead of the Pullman last Monday I guess but after reading two books cover to cover over the weekend I thought I had a good chance of ripping through the short fable like novel in a day or two and moving onto the Zusak by Wednesday which would have given me a better chance of finishing by next Sunday afternoon (including the 2.5 hr drive to the rendezvous with my sister at Rice Hill OR). I have already got in queue on my sister's card at the Longview library. Am 3rd in line for two copies so hopefully it will only be a week or two and I won't have to start it over.

Part of the reason I read so little this past week was having got caught up in the oil spill story unfolding in real life. I watched several weeks worth of news pods that I'd allowed to accumulate on my netbook and then supplemented that with a lot of online reading of news and views sites and blogs. Sometime I get a bit obsessive about a topic. :)

I also watched several DVD:

Prime (funny. Meryl Streep plays a psychiatrist treating a 37 yr old divorcee who begins to date a 23 yr old, and shares the intimate details of the developing relationship with her therapist, who soon realizes the young man is her own son.)

Coraline
(a sweet tho often dark animated fable of a young girl who feels she isn't getting enough attention from her parents and discovers a secret passage to another version of the house with another version of her parents who are doting and extravagantly generous in attention and treats. but soon she discovers it is an a illusion baiting a trap and she meets the ghosts of several children previously captured. It is a Niel Gaimann story and it has the look and feel of a Tim Burton animated film but I don't think I saw his name in the titles.)

Watchmen (watched this with Ed tonight. Long. Dark. Violent. And yet I'm not sorry. Wouldn't have chosen it for myself but was willing to watch with him.)

DVD next in line:

Still hope to watch MILK tonight as soon as I'm posted. It was due Thursday and so must be in drop box by 9am to avoid fine. But I don't know. Am leaning toward giving it a pass as I did HBO's Band of Brothers and Curb Your Enthusiasm which also came in last week.

Because...

I lucked out and West Wing 4 renewed Thursday so I I got to keep it for another week and am anxious to get started. I also ordered 5, 6 and 7 to come in between last Thursday and tomorrow. 5 & 6 did arrive last week but we didn't get over to pick them up. Had hoped to watch them all before I left town as the queues are building up behind me. I seem to have been the first one to discover the library system acquired the 7 season set so have been the first one in line for each of them. That won't be true by the time get home in mid August. I won't have time to watch all of them now. Not with the packing, the heat wave (90s now and 100s by Thursday) and a Dr appointment this week)

2 tell me a story:

Elizabeth Bauterfly,  7/07/2010 7:20 PM  

I just got the Crazy School by Cornelia Read if you would like to borrow it some time, but all I can really say about it is that the introduction is good.

Bonnie Jacobs 7/10/2010 2:45 PM  

I read "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" by Philip Pullman last week. Very interesting book.

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP