Monday, July 19, 2010

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? #10

I can't believe I've been here at my Mom's a whole week already. My sister left with her son on vacation today and won't be back until Sunday, leaving me here to assist Mom and care for the pets and yard.

I don't know how reading is going to fit into my routines this week. Lunch and supper meal prep is mostly on me though Mom helps when she is feeling up to it. But her helping actually makes the tasks take longer as I can't rush her nor can I rush around when she is nearby as we are both visually impaired and that would risk a collision that could have really bad results. We didn't get through this day unscathed as I banged a dinner plate on her elbow as I was attempting to reach past her to lay it in the sink. But that was minor compared to scenarios I have imagined. We are both wearing bells to keep each other alerted to our whereabouts. Mom has them on her shoes and have one on my right wrist and the other on my left ankle.

The week just past was a great one for reading though. Before the Bones DVDs came home from the library on Friday and Saturday I was reading 2 to 4 hours per day. That's approximately how much time I spent watching Bones in the last two days so I hope to give some of that back to reading after watching the rest of season three.

Finished:


The mind tree : a miraculous child breaks the silence of autism / Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay.

Begun:

The hour I first believed / Wally Lamb. Am reading this in large print and have read over 200 of the 1100 some pages.

Browsed in while placing bookmarks as my sister brought them home from the Longview library:

Some of these were books I had out of the library at home in the last month or so the rest are mostly books I had checked out of the Longview library during my previous visits in the last year and are not available at home.

Proust was a neuroscientist by Jonah Lehrer

The family : the secret fundamentalism at the heart of American power / Jeff Sharlet.

Losing my religion : how I lost my faith reporting on religion in America--and found unexpected peace / William Lobdellby

The religious case against belief / Carse, James P

The unwritten rules of social relationships: Decoding Social Mysteries Through the Unique Perspectives of Autism /by Grandin, Temple.

Aladdin's lamp : how Greek science came to Europe through the Islamic world /
by Freely, John.

The art & craft of the short story / by DeMarinis, Rick

Banquet at Delmonico's : great minds, the Gilded Age, and the triumph of evolution in America / by Werth, Barry.

White Protestant nation : the rise of the American conservative movement / by Lichtman, Allan J.

Believer, beware : first-person dispatches from the margins of faith / by Sharlet, Jeff

The Novel up next if I finish the Lamb before Monday:

The book thief / Markus Zusak

DVD watched:

Precious -- twice. Once alone and the second time with my sister.

Bones season 2 disc 5 & 6
Bones season 3 disc 1, 2, & 3 (will be watching 4 & 5--there is no 6--before Thursday and then probably walking the set over to the library while my Mom naps. Unless I luck out and it renews for me again which ought to take it till my sister gets home on Sunday. The Longview library only allows three days for videos and there is a $1 per day fine if late. At home in the Jackson County Oregon system videos are checked out for a full week and the fine is the same as for books--20 cents per day)

1 tell me a story:

Sheila (Bookjourney) 7/20/2010 9:09 PM  

I loved The Book Thief. :) I need to watch Precious yet - maybe this weekend.
have a great week!

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP