Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #51

Last March my cat Gremlyn died on a Sunday evening. The loss of this companion of nearly fourteen years was devastating. When the next several Sundays began to loom as banks of gray gloom threatening tear-showers, I knew I had to do something to forestall that becoming habitual. Thus was born my first Sunday Serenity.


About seven weeks later my husband Ed wanted to join in and thought we should have a hub a la Thursday Thirteen. That was in late May and so far my sister Jamie is the only one who has joined us. Ed has prepared his TT this week with examples of the YouTube videos he has posted in his Sunday Serenity in hopes of stirring up more interest in the meme. So I thought I would chime in with links to my favorite Sunday Serenity posts. My last SS was my 23rd so I've been posting these for nearly half a year now.

As you will see, I have a variety of ways to induce serenity. If nothing else this practice has been a great benefit in that it has forced me to contemplate serenity and memories of those times I had it and in the process collect into one place over twenty potential triggers of serenity that have worked for me in the past. Thus, by clicking on the Sunday Serenity label here at Joystory I have at my fingertips a resource for those times when anxiety or grief is getting the best of me.




My Thirteen Favorite Sunday Serenity Posts


  1. This one tops the list because it combines music, nature, humor and romance.
  2. Here I created a graphic of the Serenity Prayer. Fiddling playfully with a new graphics program while contemplating the prayer then researching its history made for a very serene hour or two.
  3. Here is a screen shot of my jigsaw puzzle game. Loosing myself in a puzzle has always calmed me down. I thought I'd included a link to the free program but apparently not so here it is. It generates puzzles of 6-1400 pieces out of pics you feed it. Of course they do hope you will buy their packs of gorgeous photos.
  4. There is nothing more conducive to serenity than the blank white page of a brand new tablet and my favorite clicker pencil waiting to herd the words buzzing my brain under the beckoning button-eyed gaze of Blue Mews.
  5. Coastal scenes always invoke serenity for me. Even when there is a stiff breeze and the surf is anything but calm. This picture was taken by my father-in-law somewhere near Newport, Oregon. Wouldn't it make a great jigsaw puzzle?
  6. Sometimes words just get in the way. This is a YouTube of a meditative light show accompanied by music with an oriental flavor.
  7. Swimming with the dolphins. I've always wanted to do it but the closest I've gotten is pictures and videos like this one.
  8. This one was a personal essay in which I reclaimed my right to daydream.
  9. Holding a sleeping baby or just watching one sleep. Nothing is more relaxing.
  10. Here I announced a day devoted to reading with a lol cats pic.
  11. Laughter is a shortcut to serenity. Jokes: Did you hear the one? or if you're not video challenged: This video of Lilly Tomlin as 6yr old Edith is a riot.
  12. The music of Enya has been a reliable serenity inducer for over a decade.
  13. Nature sights and sounds. Here a video of surf on sand. Here a slide show of rainy scenes accompanied by the sounds of soft rain and chirping birds.




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It's easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


11 tell me a story:

Susan Helene Gottfried 9/19/2007 4:00 PM  

I can't believe I've missed so many of these; I thought I'd been around you longer than this.

Sunday Serenity is a cool concept, you know. If I joined in, mine would be ... weird.

Anonymous,  9/19/2007 4:06 PM  

I am 100% with you on #11.

Chelle Y. 9/19/2007 4:08 PM  

I need to check these out when I have time!

Happy TT!

www.chelleyoung.com

Julia Phillips Smith 9/19/2007 5:35 PM  

This is a great way to catch up on the Sunday Serenity's I've missed. I'm so glad you linked up the otters holding hands. I was mesmerized.

Sandee 9/19/2007 6:15 PM  

What a wonderful thing to do for serenity. Very well done. Have a wonderful serene TT. :)

Lori 9/19/2007 6:22 PM  

Great list:) God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference:) Happy TT.

Anonymous,  9/19/2007 7:14 PM  

Wow, great t13 list. so calming (and entertaining too)!

Unknown 9/19/2007 7:23 PM  

Way to go.I hope all of you join us in a moment of serenity.

Ed
http://edsthread.uni.cc

Anonymous,  9/19/2007 9:34 PM  

Thanks for this list (which has been duly bookmarked). I know what you mean about losing a pet. It's devastating, but not the sort of thing most people allow you to be bereaved over.

Spy Scribbler 9/20/2007 2:16 PM  

I'm so sorry about your cat! That's about when I lost my cat. What a great idea! What a healthy idea!

Happy TT! (Love Enya!)

Ann 9/20/2007 7:50 PM  

I'm so sorry about your cat. I'll have to stop by on Sunday and see what you post (I usually do stop by, I just don't always post). Have a great weekend.

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP