Friday, June 01, 2007

Wounded Knee Wounded Me

Candy Minx posted a thought provoking piece this week, which affected me deeply. Her topic was the new HBO movie based on the book Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. As she described the impact this book had on her it woke memories of my own first encounter with it.

I read this book in Jr. High. It broke my heart and woke me up to the relevance of current events and their roots in history. The headlines at that time providing context for this reading experience were: Watergate, Vietnam, Kent State and Wounded Knee 1973.

I was as devastated by the realizations that Presidents lie and that the reasons for war are seldom the noble ones a government claims them to be as I was by Dee Brown's description of the slaughter of whole families by soldiers. To this day, all talk of war evokes images of dead babies clutched in the arms of their dead mothers and bloodstained hands overflowing with coins.

Security, Liberty or Justice for a people not their own are seldom reasons enough for any government to invest in the expense of war. Whatever the commodity du jour or the rallying cause du jour somewhere, someone is pocketing a profit in wealth and/or power.

1 tell me a story:

Candy Minx 6/04/2007 11:16 AM  

I am so pleased that you had memories of reading this book. Even though it's a sad history...I think it is wonderful to ahve a memory of reading somethign so powerful especially when it is read when we are young.

This was a wonderful response and I'm so flattered somethign I wrote inspired your psot, thank you!

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP