Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Forays in Fiction: Threads of Thought

It's hard to believe it has been a whole week since I joined ROW80.  It seems like yesterday.  It seems like a year.

The one goal I set that I've met daily is spending 30 or more minutes a day daydreaming my FOS story world with notebook and pencil at hand.  This has borne a lot of fruit already.

So what do these pics of crocheted granny squares have to do with fiction--either writing or reading?

Well as I've related here before, I do a lot of my story daydreaming while plying hooks or needles on fiber art projects.  One of the reasons I was able to keep up this particular daily goal was because I have several crochet projects for gifts that are on tight deadlines so I've been crocheting many hours per day.

Now some of that I must admit I do while watching videos--news pods, streaming TV or movies, Youtube... but in honor of my ROW80 commitment I sat with silence and no extra visual distraction for a minimum of 30 minutes which almost always turned into more than an hour.

Not only did I come up with new ideas but old ones that I had not thought about for a long time came to mind.  Some of these had never been written down so had essentially been lost until they returned while I had pencil and pager handy.  There was something about thinking while crocheting that seemed to stimulate my memory as well as my muse.

I wonder how and in what way the muse and memory are related.

The project pictured here was begun last night.  Almost exactly 24 hours ago as I type this.  I got the idea for during dinner and gather materials and started working as Mom was preparing for bed.

It is for a gift that has to be ready before10am Saturday which is about when my sister is leaving town for the day.  One event of her day will be a baby shower for the daughter of one of my sister's closest friends who I used to babysit many moons ago.

Yes the kids I used to babysit are becoming grandparents!!  Wasn't it bad enough when the started becoming parents?

Not only that but my Faye character was old enough to be my grandmother when I first conceived her an put the first words of the first story she appeared in on paper.  Now I am older than she was in the first scene.  *sigh*

At any rate I decided I wanted to make something for the baby.  But what could I make in less than 36 hours.

You tell me.  What am I making with six granny squares, a cat's toy ball and an old lady's support hose knee-high?

I'll post the answer along with the pics of the finished product tomorrow or Sunday.

0 tell me a story:

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP