Monday, July 08, 2013

Wilted Spinach and Mango Salad

Wilted Spinach and Mango Salad served with Tuna Melts

This was what I fixed for my dinner tonight on my third night home alone.  The spinach salad was mostly my husband's recipe which he coached me through during out video chat this afternoon.  The mango was my idea but he gave his exuberant blessing.

It was a success and now that I know how to do it I'm going to make it for my Mom and sister soon.


 You must have all ingredients prepped ahead of time and ready at hand because once you start sauteing the onions you must stay with the pan and stir.  Especially once you add the garlic because burnt garlic will ruin anything.

Coat skillet with olive oil and a tad bit more then add a pat of butter (optional but it enhances flavors) turn burner to medium.

Once hot add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of diced onions.

Spice to taste.  I added a little sea salt, ground pepper and lots of red pepper flakes.

Once onions are transparent add garlic.  Now stir constantly until onions begin to caramelize.

 Then quickly add full bag of baby spinach and toss until coated.

Then dump in 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.  I used the vinegar this time.
Now turn off heat and pop lid on skillet.  Leave on burner and do not lift lid for at least five minutes.

While the spinach steamed I turned broiler on the tuna melts which I had prepped and in the oven ahead of time.

When I dished up the spinach I put in in a strainer first to drain off the excess vinegar and oil.

Once on the plate I sprinkled more red pepper flakes on and then a tablespoon or so of ground nuts.  I think it is pecans in the grinder right now but am not sure.  Might be walnuts or even almonds.

Then I topped it off with a quarter cup or so of mango cubes.

I can already think of half a dozen variations on this.

2 tell me a story:

Jamie 7/09/2013 7:30 AM  

Looks good, Joy...

Julius bright 7/11/2013 3:13 AM  

WOW..LOOKS REAL GOOD!

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP