Friday, September 09, 2011

Friday Forays in Fiction: Quote


Reading Woman circa 1900
by Pierre-Auguste Renoir


Shall I tell you what I think are the two qualities of a work of art? First, it must be indescribable, and second, it must be inimitable.
 –Pierre-Auguste Renoir
I think this defines the novel I'm reading right now: Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan. I had to look up inimitable to be sure of its meaning. I was thinking something along the lines of 'unique' and was right but to be more precise it means 'not imitatable' and that really fits and also explains why it is so hard to list other titles to fill in the blank for 'This novel is like _______________' Because Setiawan has definitely not imitated other novels and it will be quite difficult for anyone to imitate his. I hope to post a review soon. Still have close to 200 pages left to read.

0 tell me a story:

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP