Friday, October 27, 2023

Stick a Pin in It

 

Pincushion Mug


This pincushion in a mug was one of the items I bought at a artisan booth at the Highland Festival I attended last August and wrote about in my post, Jazzed.  I'm posting it tonight to head the first of my Friday fiber art posts.

The pincushion is made of felted wool and it pops out of the cup to access the small storage space under it.  The mug is either a vintage enameled tin cup or a modern replica of one.  It is a dark blue with white flakes.  I'm fairly sure the artist gets her mugs and cups at thrift stores and yard sales as there were no two alike. Tea cups on saucers provide a little more storage on the saucer but I would be sure to break one of those being both clumsy and legally blind.  Besides this is one of my fav shades of blue and it gave me a frisson of nostalgia reminding me of something I saw in a relatives home as a child.

I've gotten comfortable with the two posts per week (Sunday Serenity and Wednesday's on writing) and have kept them up for a month in spite of loosing the ROW80 accountability group as the motivation.  So I decided it was a good time to add another regular post.  I'd been debating between a Monday book review and a Friday fiber art.  Fiber art won out because I got my beanbag alcove reorganized for crocheting again finally after the forced hiatus that began in August as described in Kit and Kaboodle Chaos.

I was planning to get some pics of the several projects that got interrupted in August for this post but instead I crocheted for almost two hours and then it was too late to do a photoshoot over in the alcove as there would be a risk of making noise that might disturb my neighbor sleeping on the other side of that wall.

I was able to get a picture of the small mug though and thought that ideal for a statement of intent.  Not to mention the need to celebrate the fact that I finally have my crochet corner back.  That is huge.

All week it has been my intent to get that figured out this weekend in advance of NaNoWriMo as crocheting (or other fiber art) is woven into my writing routine. It helps me reach and sustain the story dreaming zone. 

Getting my writing area and writing tools ready is also on the agenda this weekend.  I actually started with that project but after creating a huge mess that compromised both the couch and the desk chair I needed to sit on the beanbag to rest and while I was there I started fussing with the crochet stuff that was already in reach and adjusting the lamp and sorting the small accessories (hooks, needles, stitch savers) and eventually needed to start crocheting to test drive the set up.  Two hours later I heard my neighbor's caregiver leave which meant he was now in bed.

So I tamed the chaos I'd made of my bed/couch and my entire desk area well enough I could work on this post.  I have a lot more to do to make it NaNo ready but I still have a whole weekend to fiddle at it.

Ewesfluffy Fiber


The pic of the artist's business card provides contact info for anyone interested.  She is out of Battle Ground WA USA.  That's less than an hour's drive from me.  But I'm not sure she has a shop to visit since there is no street address on the card.  She also dyes wool with natural plant based dyes.  Cards it and spins it herself as well.  I was so tempted but I'm drowning in yarn and thread and WIP.

0 tell me a story:

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP