The doors of our Southern Oregon Library System are closing indefinitely in nine days. For an explanation see my post, Southern Oregon's Looming Library Closure. Several of my TT since I learned of this in early December have been on this theme. The last three were a three part series on the research projects of mine which will be impacted. The issue is still consuming my attention so once more into the breach...
These thirteen items aren't the only remaining library items vying for my attention by any means. They are just some of the most important to me. Between our two cards my husband and I still have close to sixty items out and most of what is on my husband's card was more for me than him. And as you can see with #13, I cheated a bit.
I split the list rather arbitrarily into three catagories: Non-Fiction books, Novels and DVD--four of each plus #13. Of the novels I can probably hope to complete only two. I've already started #5. Help me decide which of the remaining three I should commit to. #6 is the shortest. #7 is by the author of Three Junes which won the National Book Award--a novel I adored and for which I wrote this book review. #8 is by the most recent winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature.
1. What Just Happened: A Chronicle from the Information Frontier by James Gleick
2. Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth by Andrew Newberg, MD and Mark Robert Waldman
3. The Opt-out Revolt: Why People Are Leaving Companies to Create Kaleidoscope Careers by Lisa A. Mainiero & Sherry E. Sullivan
4. The Audacity of Hope: Thought on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama
5. Blessed Are the Cheesemakers by Sarah-Kate Lynch
6. How To Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward
7. The Whole World Over by Julia Glass
8. Snow by Orhan Pamuk
10. The End of the Affair
11. Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke
12. An Inconvenient Truth
13. Four Sydney Poitier movies: A Raisin In the Sun; Lilies of the Field; Guess Who's Coming to Dinner; In the Heat of the Night (Hey, I couldn't choose just one to list here and I'm probably going to watch them in a single marathon of approximately 7 hours anyway)
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
(leave your link in comments, I'll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It's easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants