This is just a clip that whets my appetite for the whole video.
Now for some quotes. [not from the video just a few of his thoughts on story and writing]
- Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.
- If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down.
- Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for.
- You fail only if you stop writing.
- You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.